- Black Hellebore: Helleborus niger
- AKA: Christe Herbe, Christmas Rose
- Origin: Native of mountainous regions of central and southern Europe, Greece and Asia Minor.
- Lore: Once people blessed their cattle with this herb to protect them from evil. Old French tales speak of a sorcerer who strew powdered Hellebore ahead of himself as he walked to make himself invisible.
- Magick: Banishing, necromancy. Used in incense for consecrating talismans.
- Used to render oneself less visible by scattering in ahead while walking.
- Other: Black Hellebore is the variety most used in magick.
- False Hellebore: Adonis autumnalis, A. vernalis
- AKA: Red Chamomile, Rose-a-Rubie, Sweet Vernal
- Origin: England and Europe
- Green Hellebore: Veratrum viride
- AKA: American Hellebore, Swamp Hellebore, Itchweed.
- Origin: North America
- White Hellebore: Veratrum album
- Origin: Lapland to Italy.