- DATURA: Datura stramonium
- AKA: Thornapple, Devil's Apple, Devil's Trumpet. American version known as Jimsonweed.
- Origin: All over the world except in coldest regions. Possible origin is S. America or Asia.
- Part Used: Whole plant highly poisonous. Seeds most active.
- Lore: An ingredient in ancient witches' flying ointment. Was said to be an aid to witches' incantations. It was very unlucky if it were found in a garden during the Witch Hunts....obviously.
- Magick: To hex or break hexes. Produce sleep, induce dreams. Divination, allow one to see spirits. Protection.
- The visionary qualities of both Jimsonweed and Datura can best be accessed by inhaling the scent of the flower.
- Other: Daturas usually have a very pleasant scent. Jimsonweed, on the other hand, stinks.
- Sacred to Aztecs, and used in shamanic rites.